New women's downhill course at Beaver Creek named 'Raptor'

Real AspenSeptember 6, 2013
The new women's speed course built over the last two seasons at Beaver Creek has been named "Raptor," according to ski race organizers. The course will debut in November when the women's World Cup circuit comes to town.

The course adjacent to the men's Birds of Prey downhill course was built in anticipation of the upcoming 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships.

“There has obviously been considerable discussion about what the ladies’ course would be named,” said Ceil Folz, president of the Vail Valley Foundation and president of the 2015 World Championships organizing committee.

“Given its proximity to Birds of Prey, the natural inclination was to try to find a name that would be both complementary and that could stand alone. We definitely feel that Raptor is a name that works well with Birds of Prey and, given the majesty of the raptor family, I think we have accomplished both goals.”

The term "raptor" is derived from the Latin word rapere, meaning to seize or take by force. The birds in this family have well developed senses, especially vision, and large, powerful talons and beaks that aid them in hunting their prey.

Raptor symbols are also very special to Native Americans, with their ability to soar above the clouds, perhaps to the heavens, and their sense of freedom serving as a source of inspiration. Because of their power of flight, many raptors are revered as bringers of messages and symbols of change, their feathers having many spiritual & ritual uses.

The new Raptor downhill course incorporates portions of the Peregrine and Golden Eagle trails, along with two new cuts that have been dubbed Kestrel on the trail map.The course, located skier’s right of Birds of Prey, will join the men’s course at the Red Tail Jump and flows into the current finish arena.

“It's challenging to say the least,” said U.S. Ski Team downhiller Stacey Cook. “It's narrow and in your face. We're right up against the fences and there's a lot of forces to deal with, particularly high speeds combined with big turns, which is something that doesn't get combined very often in women's downhill. You're going to have to be really strong to be fast.”

“There's going to be a lot of wide eyes when the rest of the world gets their first look at the slope at the end of November,” said U.S. Ski Team member Leanne Smith. “I think it's going to be one of the more popular downhills on the women's World Cup tour.”

Raptor will get its first official test Nov. 29-Dec. 1 when the Women’s World Cup descends on Beaver Creek for Downhill, Super-G and Giant Slalom competitions. The Men’s Birds of Prey World Cup is slated for the following weekend, December 6-8, also with Downhill, Super-G and Giant Slalom racing.

Scheduled from Feb. 2-15 of 2015, the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Vail and Beaver Creek are expected to showcase athletes from over 70 nations, with an estimated 750 million worldwide television viewers and an onsite media and broadcast entourage of approximately 1,500 members.

For additional information on the 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Vail and Beaver Creek, visit www.vailbeavercreek2015.com.

comments: 15 Comments on "New women's downhill course at Beaver Creek named 'Raptor'"

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:28 a.m.

It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Vakantiehuis Limburg

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:31 a.m.

I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I am really happy with articles quality and presentation. Thanks a lot for keeping great stuff. I am very much thankful for this site. Airco prijs

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:33 a.m.

very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! Erotische massage

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:34 a.m.

I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it. Premies spouwmuurisolatie

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:36 a.m.

You completely match our expectation and the variety of our information. Vakantiehuis België

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:38 a.m.

You actually make it look so easy with your performance but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never comprehend. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it! Spouwmuurisolatie Leuven

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:40 a.m.

I would also motivate just about every person to save this web page for any favorite assistance to assist posted the appearance. Erotisch massagesalon

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:41 a.m.

I read your post and I found it amazing! thank! Vakantiehuis huren Limburg

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:43 a.m.

There is definately a great deal to know about this subject. I like all of the points you've made. Offertes aanvragen

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 3:44 a.m.

I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts Spouwmuurisolatie prijs

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 4:22 a.m.

It has fully emerged to crown Singapore's southern shores and undoubtedly placed her on the global map of residential landmarks. I still scored the more points than I ever have in a season for GS. I think you would be hard pressed to find somebody with the same consistency I have had over the years so I am happy with that. Airco offerte

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 4:24 a.m.

It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist. I agree with your Blog and I will be back to inspect it more in the future so please keep up your act. Warmtepompen

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 4:26 a.m.

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. Massagesalon Limburg

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 4:27 a.m.

I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it. Vakantiehuis huren

mrseo – Aug. 25, 2021, at 4:28 a.m.

very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! Warmtepomp installatie